Making Memories Since 1918
History Of The Jewelry Business At 1125 West Bryn Mawr
On March 18, 1995 Gunther Marx, owner of Gunther Marx Jewelry at 1125 West Bryn Mawr since 1953 quietly closed up his shop for the last time. He reminisces about his history in Edgewater on Bryn Mawr Historic District
Marx became interested in watch repair while in the Army. He returned after the service taking on a small location of his at 1125 West Bryn Mawr. The store was previously owned by fellow jeweler, Ernest J Samuelson. Mr. Samuelson had opened his first shop in Edgewater across the street in 1901. At that time there was no L stop on Bryn Mawr only horse drawn trains that went by. In 1918-19, Samuelson moved to the 1125 location and this has been a jewelry store ever since. According to Gunther, Samuelson was pretty accomplished in watch repair. He also was an optometrist, examining patients in the store and selling eyeglasses.
Edgewater and the Bryn Mawr historic district has changed a lot since those days, but their still remains a jewelry store at 1125 West Bryn Mawr Avenue with a thriving business. Scott Freeman has been the proud owner since 2004. He has 20 years in the jewelry business and an education from the Gemological Institute of America. Scott has always dreamed of making his hobby, his career. Jewelry is his life, his passion and it shows in every piece that he hand crafts. Since the beginning of his ownership Scott has watched his cliental and business evolve and grow. He believes strongly in great customer service, integrity in business and excellence in his jewelry and design. At Bryn Mawr Jewelry Company, we have always believed in educating our customers first, so they can make the correct decision for themselves with total confidence. We strive to build a long term relationship with each and every customer to become you family jeweler.
Today, Bryn Mawr Jewelry has taken account the history of their location with the fine business that Ernest Samuelson and Gunther Marx built many years ago. Scott Freeman and staff continue to practice ethical and honest business applying the same principles that these two fine men did with the history of the jewelry store on Bryn Mawr Avenue.